Turkey Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time – 5 min
Cook Time – 55 min
Total Time – 1 hr
- 1 pound Ground Turkey Breast
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 1/4 cup Chicken Broth (Low Sodum), separated
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 large bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Sauté onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until fragrant (a couple minutes).
- Add ground turkey, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Break up the turkey using a wooden spoon/spatula, allowing it to brown (4-5 minutes).
- Once turkey is almost completely browned, add uncooked quinoa, tomato sauce, 1 cup of chicken broth, and chopped cilantro. Stir well to combine then cover. Let simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- While the mixture simmers, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and slice the bell peppers in half. Remove the seeds and white membranes inside.
- Put bell peppers halves into an oven proof dish. Fill each half with as much turkey-quinoa filling as you can. Pour remaining ¼ cup of chicken broth into the baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle each bell pepper with shredded cheese and bake another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Makes for excellent leftovers!
- Tip: Filling can be eaten alone without the bell peppers, or wrapped in lettuce cups if you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to bake the peppers.